Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Book Review: Marriage Matters

Tony Evans has written 3 outstanding books about marriage I will review all together.  The first is Marriage Matters.  This biblical perspective on marriage is similar to those I've read before, but goes into such specific detail I found myself finally grasping ideas I've strived to put into words for years.

"It is important to point out that when God calls couples to oneness with each other, He is not calling them to loss their uniqueness."

Evans covers all the "hot topics" in what would be considered a Christ centered marriage.  Beginning with why God created marriage and men and women so differently, covering how sin has warped marriage and how God strives to restore us to Himself through marriage, I could not stop highlighting the pages.

"Marriage has been designed as a tool by God to bring about good in your life.  Unfortunately, because we so often do not understand the true nature and purpose of marriage, we lose sight of that truth and end up living lives characterized by chaos."

There are 2 supplemental books written, For Married Men Only, and For Married Women Only.  Each of these quick books is PACKED with truth.  I read the women's book first and found myself feeling incredibly affirmed in my role as a wife.  Evans covers the subjects of being "a helper" to our husbands, submission, and living a life that honors God in a way that did not leave me feeling like I second class in any way.  Using scripture Evans unpacks all that marriage is supposed to be if we allow God in the center.  It left me hungry for the picture that was written about.

I then read the book for men.  I was SO thankful for the charge written to the men.  Evans explanation of women's desires to be pursued were words I have long desired to be able to say myself. The responsibility of a man is clear in scripture and Evans has no concerns about laying it out exactly as it is written.

I think these 3 books are a great resource for any couple even considering if they should marry or not. The challenge to love a spouse the way God intended is not an easy one.  With the right partner and Christ in the middle it is certainly a much easier journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment