Awhile back I made THIS RECIPE, and although it was super tasty, I just couldn't swallow all the calories. SO, I attempted to make a lighter version this week and I'm pretty happy with the results.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 48 oz chicken broth (if you enjoy a thicker soup, use less)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast (you can use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (16-ounce/500g) package ready-to-use gnocchi (or dry)
- 1 can evaporated milk (14-16oz)
Saute veggies and garlic in olive oil then add broth and seasonings. Cook gnocchi if needed in broth or simply add it along with carrots, spinach, chicken. Add can of evaporated milk, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 min.
If you find it isn't rich enough add half and half or more evaporated milk.