Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cheerio Cookies



Have you heard the news?  Cherrios has started making their ORIGINAL recipe without genetically modified ingredients!  Although this is really great news, my kids prefer honey nut cheerios or something with some flavor.  I decided to get a box and do a few experiments to see if I could "dr up" cheerios and discovered 2 awesome recipes!  The first is a "breakfast cookie" which I would not serve for breakfast, but is a really hearty snack!  I made one adjustment and swapped out raisins for dark chocolate chunks. Next time I will use dried cranberries for a "pb and j" cookie.  These lasted 3 days and were just as tasty the last day as the first.  
Ingredients
  • 1 ¼ cups sugar
  • ½ Cup Butter or Margarine Softened
  • ½ Cup peanut butter
  • ¼ Cup Water
  • 1 TBSP Vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ½ Flour
  • 1 Cup Oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
  • 1 cup raisins
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups Cheerios Cereal
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 375 °
  2. In large bowl, Stir together sugar, butter, Peanut Butter, Water, Vanilla, and egg.
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients except Cereal.
  4. Gently Stir in cereal.
  5. On ungreased large Cookie sheet drop dough by rounded ¼ cupfuls 2 inches apart. You know I use parchment Paper!
  6. Flatten dough to about 1 inch thick.
  7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Store loosely covered.




My second cheerio tip:  I added 2 T of cinnamon and 1 T of sugar to a bag of cheerios and shook.  I added no oil, butter or anything else.  I shook the bag several times and let it be.  My boys have been eating up the cereal in the mornings and agree is tastes "similar" to cinnamon toast crunch. Similar enough that I'm not buying cinnamon toast crunch any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment