Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Thursday, September 12, 2013

What I learned from a month of freezer cooking

Well I told you that I was going to use part of August to get some freezer meals together.  I thought I would give you my thoughts on what I liked, didn't like, what I would do again, and what I wouldn't do again.

1) I LOVED how quickly these recipes came together .

2) I LOVED that this post from Pioneer Woman came out just when I needed it.

3) I LOVED that for a whole month all I needed to do a few days a week was go to my freezer and drop a meal in the crock pot.

4) I LOVED that this allowed me to branch out and try some new recipes!

1) I HATED that some of the recipes that came together quickly didn't taste all that great :/

2) I HATED that I ran out of freezer room way before I ran out of recipes.

3) I HATED that having such a full freezer kept me from being able to take advantage of a few stock up sales.


What I would do again:
My approach was to head to Pinterest and find recipes I wanted to try.  Then I sent through my list of recipes that I knew we liked.  Next, I went through the pantry to see what ingredients I had on hand.  The recipes I chose were the ones that either sounded good or I knew we liked AND I had most of the ingredients already.
After recipes were chosen I then made a list and went to the store to get the rest of the ingredients. And some aluminum bake ware.  (Thanks for the idea PW).

As the month has gone on I have made note of which recipes we really like and which ones to avoid.
I have also resolved the fact that I missed sales by reminding myself stores are on a cycle and those sales will come around again.
I would use aluminum bakeware again, but I would store things differently.  The plastic lids cracked in the freezer.  Instead, I would just wrap the whole thing in foil.


What I would change:
Well, I already said the bakeware thing.
I won't ever do a recipe with honey in it.  The majority of the honey clings the the freezer bag.
I won't repeat a recipe more then twice.  I don't have enough freezer room for more then one month and the likely hood of eating a meal other then pizza, burgers or tacos more then twice in a month is slim.

A few other tips:
-Don't be afraid to sub ingredients or reduce/increase the size of a recipe.  Our family eats 3 chicken breasts between the 4 of us.  So, I make recipes with 3, not 4 or 6.  If you don't like the recipe you really won't like the leftovers!

-Always have a back up plan.  I made Honey Chicken and it was pretty tasteless.  I saved the recipe simply by topping the chicken with General Tao's sauce from Trader Joe's.

-If you are tight on freezer space don't waste space on side dishes.  Those can be prepped quick enough on the day you are serving your dinner.

-Variety, Variety, Variety-branch out, try new recipes from different bloggers.

-save money by choosing recipes that have in season ingredients

-find a cooking buddy and buy in bulk to also save money







1 comment:

  1. Great post. I also love stocking up on those aluminum pans for when I make meals for other families. When there are several people bringing meals for a family, I think it's a nice extra gift to deliver a meal and say "I don't need any of the dishes back."

    ReplyDelete