Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Rhubarb Freezer Jam

In keeping with my goal, here was this week's Pinterest attempt!  **I wish I had read her notes and cut back to 4 cups of sugar.  This jam was AWESOME, and I would not classify it as too sweet, but it would have been worth the try.

I made my jam extra smooth by using an emersion blender instead of a potato masher at the end.  I was able to make 8 1/2 pint jars.  I was THRILLED with not only how quickly this came together, but how inexpensive it was.  I will make this again for sure.

Rhubarb Freezer Jam

5 cchopped rhubarb
5 csugar
1 cwater
1 smcan crushed pineapple drained (i used a 20 oz. can)
1 - 6 ozstrawberry jello

Cook rhubarb, sugar and water until it comes to a boil. It should about 7 - 10 minutes. (I used a potato masher to mash up the rhubarb just a little. It does break down fast though and doesn't need much mashing.)
2
 Add drained pineapple and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from stove and add jello, stirring till it is disolved.

(Don't worry if you have some stalks that are not all red. I had more that was green/red than all red and once you put the jello in the color turns all red.)
3
 Stir well until dissolved. Put into sterilized jars and place the lids on. I let my jars rest on the counter for about an hour and then stored them in the freezer.
4
 I am pleased to say, that I added a 20 oz. can of drained pineapple and the jam still set up. I really wanted more pineapple than just an 8 oz. can so I am happy it still set up. When I make this again I am going to cut back to 4 cups of sugar and see how it does.

Pictures and Instructions from this awesome website, Just a Pinch!



No comments:

Post a Comment