Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, February 1, 2013

Book Review: Gifted to Lead

Gifted to Lead by Nancy Beach is a book specifically written about women in leadership positions in the church.

Over all I found this book to be well thought out, but I didn't necessarily agree with all the arguments.

Disclaimer: I will never limit God.  That said, I feel that scripture is very clear on a few points in scripture and I'm unwilling to bend on that with a un-scripturally based argument.  I do truly believe that there are situations where God calls women to lead, I will never claim to be able to discern which of those situations are accurate and which are not.

Beach takes the reader through her own journey to leadership within Willow Creek, and also gives any women who is considering going on staff at a church excellent advice.  Beach covers topics such as ministry with children, staying true to yourself in developing a leadership style, boundaries with male leaders and also a specific chapter to those who may be nervous to consider allowing a woman to come on staff at a church.

I had one major issue with Beach's arguments.  The argument most used throughout this book was that since women lead in all other areas of society they should be allowed to lead in a church as well.  I refuse to except that as a valid point, because I think it's a very slippery slope.

If you are considering church leadership or are in church leadership I would encourage you to read this book, it's very insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment