Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Organizing and Purging

One thing about this time of the year that never changes is the desire to have a cleaner, less cluttered, and more effeicient home.  With boys ages 7 1/2 and 6 it feels like every 6-12 months they are growing out of clothes, toys, interests and growing into new ways to clutter my house up!! ;)

This year, as I've begun my clean up I've set a few goals and discovered a few things:

Goals:
1) Touch everything in the house once and throw away all that needs to be discarded.
2) Find a place for everything being kept that the whole family will accept.
3) Have only relevant items accessible

Things I've discovered:


1) Bigger isn't always better.  When choosing storage bins I have often just repurposed ones we already had, or found something quick on clearance.  Recently I realized while sorting through different baskets and bins with our boys that "out of sight, out of mind" is applicable in most scenarios with them and when something is moved to the bottom of a bin it will stay there!  I switched all our art and craft supplies from this:


To one of these:



Has made supplies used daily instead of weekly!

2) Additionally, I have often found that I will find what I consider to be the perfect place for an item.  I will then find that item multiple places all over the house.  So, I remedied this situation by having the boys tell me where they think an item belongs and then talking about why or why not a different place might be better. 

3) This Christmas the boys received a bunch of new board games.  Instead of adding them to the board game book shelf I boxed up the board games no longer played very often and this summer they will head to good will or a garage sale.  

4) Beginning this process in January allows me to go at a slower pace, leaving no stone unturned.  It enables me to build my donation pile, pass things along to friends who can use them before the summer and also, gives me the chance to make sure something in the purge pile actually belongs there.

No comments:

Post a Comment