Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, January 18, 2013

Book Review: Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study

I realize it's just the beginning of 2013, but this book is on THE TOP of my must read list.  I've heard Jen Hatmaker's name for awhile now, but honestly, with the fog of football season I just didn't investigate.  That is, until one of the small groups I facilitate suggested Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study as an option to kick off a season of inductive Bible Study.

I was excited to consider an alternative to Kay Arthur's methods because honestly, I can't keep all the colors and shapes straight ;).  Although I've been working through different books of the Bible using Priscilla Shirer's 5 P's I was open to seeing another method.

What I LOVED:
-Jen Hatmaker keeps it real, and realistic
-the goal of this Bible Study method is to use only the Bible to study and hear God's voice.
-there are clear and specific examples throughout the book of how to journal and study the way Hatmaker suggests
-there is a LOT of freedom to make this study your own
-I walked away from this book motivated, confident I would be successful and encouraged

What I didn't love:
-The 6 week Bible Study in the back of the book felt a bit stretched to me, I think I would try to get a group to "speed it up" to a month if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment