Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, September 7, 2012

Book Review: Twelve Unlikely Heroes

As a book reviewer for Book Sneeze I was given the opportunity to read the newest John MacArthur book Twelve Unlikely Heroes.

This is my first book read from this series, and I liked it.  I have to clarify and say I wouldn't use this as a substitute for reading the Bible, but the way MacArthur summarizes the characters stories, condensing them to be read in a few minutes is very helpful.  I also appreciated the historical background added to help the reader get a full picture of the people written about.

In the preface MacArthur spends a significant time redefining "Hero".  I have say, I don't know that I fully agree with his definition, and I'm not sure I would include all of the people listed as heroes, but they were all people chosen by God for a specific purpose.  A few key things I gleaned from this book were that God will use whoever.  They don't have to be perfect.  Also, God WILL accomplish his goals.  Finally, we are all called for something, and we need to be obedient to that call.

I would highly suggest this book. I think it would be a great read for a new Christian learning about people of the Bible.  I would suggest reading the story in the book, they studying it in scripture.


No comments:

Post a Comment