Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Co-op

One thing I have always been frustrated with is the quality of produce year round in a small town. I often find myself driving an hour or more just for avocados less then $2 a piece!!! A few friends have been participating in this Co-Op for awhile and it's finally gotten close enough to our area to justify the drive! Additionally I was able to convince several other people to give it a try and we have been able to work it out so we don't need to drive to get our order every 2 weeks either. My next hope is that some brave and willing soul will pick up the torch and create a group for our town (some OTHER brave and willing soul). But until then I'm ordering from this Co-Op twice a month and have already cut my produce bill in half.

There are several ways to buy into a Co-Op, some of them you work for your food, others you pay a price up front for a basket once a week or less, some are like the one I'm participating in where you can order as much or little as you want, whenever you want.

Of course, the best deal is to simply choose the 50/50 fruit/veggie produce basket. It's actually not a basket, but a large IKEA bag

I have found with my family of 4, adding an additional 3 lb bag of apples is helpful. Regardless, this option for produce is one I would suggest checking out.

Several of my friends have mentioned concern about what to do about getting something in the produce bag they may not want. Here are a few brain stormed ideas:

1) swap with someone for something they don't like
2) juice it
3) give it away and bless someone else
4) try to cook it a different way, you might be surprised you actually DO like it!


I did have a few things start to go bad my first time around. I had a zucchini that needed to be used, so I shredded it and froze it for zucchini bread in the future. Also, I had an onion that needed to be used. I chopped and froze it as well. I will add it to pizza or stir fry as needed.

I think part of my excitement about purchasing this way is getting to try veggies I wouldn't normally purchase for a reasonable price. I've already been searching pinterest and allrecipes for new ways to use my items!


No comments:

Post a Comment