Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Pretzels



I've wanted to attempt pretzels for awhile now, and with a free weekend, I attempted them! I used a mix, but this recipe is the one closest to what I used. Instead of a bread maker I used by Kitchen Aid.

I made sticks simply because it was easiest for me :) I also divided a stick of margarine and mixed half with italian herbs and half with cinnamon and sugar. I was really happy with the way these turned out, and think I will attempt pretzel bites next time!

  • 1 1/8 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • coarse salt

Directions

  1. In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
  2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape. In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
  3. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Spritz or lightly brush with water. Sprinkle with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment