Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, December 2, 2011

Book Review: The God Whom Moses Knew: A Novel

I rarely read fiction, but the description of this book drew me in. I am really glad I read it, because the promise to understand the relationship between Moses and God differently was successful.

Nelson is very clear upfront that he did a ton of historical research to be as accurate as possible while describing things, but the conversations are his own thoughts of how things may have gone. Regardless, there are hundreds of references throughout the book which allows the reader to see exactly where author Nelson found the basis for his presentation.

I found the entire book to be engaging, and yet when I went back to my Bible to read the story in Exodus it did seem to be accurate in presentation. Including timelines, maps and drawings of the temple added to creating a full picture which allows the reader to better understand exactly what being with the Israelites might have been like.

Nelson also did an excellent job of helping me as the reader to understand the Israelite's perspective a bit better. Reminding the reader along the way that the story of Moses is a story of God re-introducing Himself. This is a story of God teaching His people what relationship with Him needs to look like, a story of God pursing His people.

I would suggest this book as a good read, I enjoyed it a lot! I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

This book was read in exchange for an honest review from Book Sneeze. The opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I haven't heard of this, but this sounds like a perfect read over Christmas break... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete