Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Healthier Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Our family loves this recipe from Money Saving Mom. My younger son has started eating a muffin every day for breakfast. I decided I need to make them a bit healthier since they have moved from a snack to a staple. I started with replacing the oil. This last time instead of adding oil I added 1 C of peach flavored applesauce (no sugar added) and 1 T of almond milk. They came out great! My next challenge is to replace the sugar. My first thought was Splenda, but I'm going to research some alternatives first. The original recipe is below:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 (16 oz.) can pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups oil
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 package chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil until smooth. Add in dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 16-20 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes 24-30 muffins.

1 comment:

  1. Any recipe that calls for chocolate chips, I will reduce the amount and use mini chocolate chips. Gives the flavor but less calories (and less sugar, fat, etc)! Another example, my mom always used the Nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe but she would double the recipe keeping the original amount of chocolate chips (1 bag). My husband's family however, they would double the amount of chocolate chips. He is a choc-a-holic!! :)

    ReplyDelete