Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, September 23, 2011

Book Review: One Thousand Gifts

I had this book on my "must read" list all summer. I was so excited to borrow it from a friend that I was actually surprised at how long it took me to engage in reading it.

Over all, this was a great book I gleaned A LOT of thought provoking conversations with God for the future. I really appreciated her premise, and the heart with which author Voskamp writes is amazing. Her writing style is not one I am used to, and I found myself reading over and over again to figure out the context of where her steam of conscious began. I found that reading this book in large chunks was helpful in tracking along with subject to subject instead of a few pages here or there.

Voskamp is incredibly vulnerable on these pages sharing her deepest aches and hardest memories. I so appreciated this because her vulerablility allows the reader to truly understand where her desire to give God 1000 praises is rooted. I fully agree with her premise that we must be able to praise God for daily things, small things, even when there is a cloud hanging over us. I also appreciated how Voskamp brings the reader through her learning to converse with God.

Over all, I loved this book, and would suggest it as a good read. Not really a small group book, but perhaps would work for a book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment