Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review: Blue Like Jazz

I finally finished my 3rd Donald Miller book for the summer, and yes I know it's September! Perhaps it is because I stopped and started this book over a few weeks, perhaps it is because it was my 3rd Miller book, or perhaps because of where I am personally right now....I found this book to just be ok.

I know Donald Miller fans all over just gasped I mean there is a movie coming and all, but I think my over all conclusion is that Miller learned a lot more about life in between writing this book and A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, leaving me feeling Blue Like Jazz was lacking a bit of substance. Now, that sentence needs to be taken with a grain of salt since all Miller books might fit into that category. I'm simply saying this particular book didn't find me thinking WOW or I never thought of that! as did MMiaTY.

Over all, still a good read.

1 comment:

  1. I loved BLJ when I first read it in 2003 - mostly because I loved how his experiences so mirrored mine from the pacific northwest. This mattered to me even more, because I was in Illinois and being a Christian was a very different thing there. I've read it a few time since and still appreciate it.
    That being said, I loved AMMIATY even more than that. It was the first book Curby gave me, and inspired our whole courtship - reminding us that in many ways we are the authors of our own story and that we can have agency in pursuing our life. So I agree - I think if I had read them in the opposite timing I would have felt the same.

    ReplyDelete