Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gratitude vs. Pride

Recently our pastor was preaching on having an attitude of Gratitude and the statement was made "Every blessing not turned back to God becomes pride."

As I have reflected on this statement I have once again been reminded of my time spent reading "Life Interrupted". So often in our lives we take our success as occurring because of our own merit. We are very quick to blame God when things go wrong and yet praising Him in success is slow or non-existent.

I started thinking about those things we classify as "blessings" which is why my thoughts eventually brought me back to those interruptions I have fought tooth and nail because I was so sure MY way was better. I've always classified this as ignorance or stubbornness, yet when I think about it as refusing a blessing from God, I have to also classify it as pride. Admitting I can act pridefully is hard in its self, and yet, simply acknowledging it creates a softening that allows me to put it behind me and move forward.

Do you have a blessing you need to praise God for today?

2 Chronicles 32:26
However, Hezekiah humbled the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD did not come on them in the days of Hezekiah.

Proverbs 29:23
A man’s pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor.

I'm linking this with Seeds of Faith Women


2 comments:

  1. Hmm....I had never considered that! Thanks for the pondering this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wise post. I haven't read that book yet, but I think I am going to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete