Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Life Interrupted...again

As a staff our wives have been reading through Priscilla Shirer's Life Interrupted. I can not emphasize enough how AWESOME this book it. I think I read half of it nodding my head. The other wives have offered awesome insight and have confirmed a lot of what I was already thinking. Recently we were discussing and a few thoughts popped into my head. One of them is the following:

Priscilla Shirer talks specifically at a few points in this book about her disappointment in not being able to be a singer. This was a dream she was able to go very far with, including having amazing opportunities to sing (you will have to read the book to find out details :)) Anyway, Shirer uses this example as one way God "interrupted" her plan and helped guide her towards His plan. Shirer makes clear she is perfectly content with her life, thrilled with her ministry calling and feels incredibly blessed. She also makes clear to point out how disappointing it was to have to give up the dream of being a singer.

As I've reflected on this more I've come around to feeling that it's ok to be disappointed that a dream didn't work out. We are so often told that we need to be grateful for the blessings we are given (which is true) I think we forget it's ok to mourn a loss. Not every decision we make is a "bad decision". Regardless, we may still near a "no" from God. The answers for the why on that no may not be understood this side of heaven. Whenever we hear a no it is natural to feel a sense of loss. Loss for what could have been, for what we "knew would be perfect for us".

I have come to believe that God is ok with our sadness. He has given us the Holy Spirit in part to be our comforter, John 14:16

6 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[a] who will never leave you.
Footnotes:
  1. John 14:16 Or Comforter, or Encourager, or Counselor.Greek reads Paraclete; also in 14:26.
God expects we will be sad. God also expects we will respond CORRECTLY even when sad.

1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

Shirer makes clear as Christians we will all have an interruption (she refers to it as a Ninevah) and my guess is we will have more then one. So, my hope is, from now on, instead of fighting my emotions and feeling guilty for being sad I intend to give into the mourning process, choose to respond well and move forward. I'm not saying it's going to be easy!

What do you think? Do you agree with my thoughts here?

I'm linking this Seeds of Faith Women

No comments:

Post a Comment