Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Review: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: How I Learned to Live a Better Story

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: How I Learned to Live a Better Story by Donald Miller is a must read in my opinion. I grabbed this book at the suggestion of a friend who didn't know how her quick summary would grab hold of me. I'm really glad I made the effort to read this book, and I think you would be too.

Donald Miller has what I would consider to be a unique writing style that can be a bit challenging to get used to. I found that I had to really pause and reflect on each of the first few chapters and remind myself of the subject being written about. Once I had adjusted to this style I began to find commentary and thought provoking statements in nearly every chapter. Miller writes this book in a way that takes the reader along his journey of writing a movie script and all the life that happened in between to help him become more aware of the choices he could make to make his life story a stronger one. "I also wondered if he wasn't right, that we were designed to live through something rather than to attain something, and the thing we were meant to live through was designed to change us. The point of a story is the character arc, the change." "The story made us different characters than we would have been if we had skipped the story and showed up at the ending an easier way."

Life is all about choices, Miller has presented a discussion of a way to figure out which choices to make, and I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book also! I've been meaning to write about it. First, it changed Curby so much that I give it a lot of credit for how he pursued me so strongly and intentionally from the beginning of our relationship till now. Second, it really made me consider how my choices led to a more interesting story or a less interesting one - and helped me remember that I wanted to live the former not the latter! :)

    ReplyDelete