Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Where's the line?

Recently I finished reading 31 days to Clean. I have a book review coming up, but a few things have stuck out and I'm wrestling with them. Chuck Swindoll is quoted "God has given you...sufficient time in each day to fulfill His perfect plan-including the interruptions!"

Later on "Instead of striving to change myself, I will choose to let the living word of God change me from the inside out according to His timing and will. I'll just keep my eye on Him."

Here's where those 2 quotes intersect for me:

Awhile back I wrote about Waiting Silently where there is clear scripture presented about waiting on God to act instead of taking action. I fully believe that an interruption (as discussed by Swindoll), whether it be in the form of a sick child derailing plans or a college student showing up at dinner time are times fully ordained by God for us as women to serve Him as a blessing someone who needs it. I also believe that Life Interruptions are often used by God to get us back on the path that has His plan for us.

So here's the question: Are we called to sit and wait? Are we truly called to just sit, with our eyes and hearts open and just let God present a path? It seems to me there is some conflicting advice here. Have you ever heard a preacher tell you "As a single person you can't just sit in your basement and expect God to bring a husband to you."? This second quote "Instead of striving to change myself, I will choose to let the living word of God change me from the inside out according to His timing and will. I'll just keep my eye on Him." seems to me to be saying that instead of self evaluating what needs to be changed we need to reflect on scripture, and allow God to prompt and change our hearts. I fully agree with that, yet my question still remains, and I'll add another. If we are to sit and wait, what does that look like?

It is possible to fill my time with endless amounts of volunteer work serving God and still be bored out of my mind waiting on my "true calling". It is possible to make myself so busy with creating a home that I can make the excuse that I am in God's will because I'm serving my family and miss opportunity after opportunity simply out of being unaware of anything more. It is possible to fully serve the Lord whole heartedly in the wrong ministry!

So where's the line? How do you wait silently? Is it simply about the attitude of the heart or is this a call to inaction?




No comments:

Post a Comment