Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Picking strawberries and Strawberry Syrup


A few weeks ago I picked 13 lbs of stawberries, half of them in the rain. Now, you might think thats a bit crazy, especially when you hear it cost me about $2/lb. But, I have 2 really good reasons why.

1) I have 6 year old who has become obsessed with strawberry syrup on everything.
2) They were pesticide free strawberries

Ever since I read THIS ARTICLE I've been paying careful attention to have some things be pesticide free. Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries are easily picked by me and have made the cut.

This simple recipe now tops waffles, pancakes, ice cream and anything else my kiddo can convince me to top :)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups mashed unsweetened strawberries
Directions

In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Gradually add strawberries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.

I'm linking this to Tuesdays at the Table

4 comments:

  1. and sore bought strawberries are NO match for fresh picked ones!! :) Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes strawberries are the bomb and what a great way to make memories come see my strawberry recipe for a great cool treat at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a simple and awesome recipe idea! So glad you shared...there's just nothing like a fresh-picked strawberry for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm drooling over Strawberry Syrup. This is a great recipe. Love the photo of all the strawberries! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete