Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, November 5, 2010

Book Review: A Year with God

This book presents itself as a daily devotional reflecting on God's words. I think I would summarize it as excepts from a Life Application Bible. Each day starts with a scripture passage which is followed by the authors explanation of the passage and a reflection of a deeper meaning into the passage. I didn't disagree with the reflections, but I also think there are other interpretations of these scriptures. The readings are grouped into subject matters and all are from the Old Testament. The author R.P. Nettelhorst makes a statement of introduction at the beginning that "the best way to get to know people is to spend time listening to them." He goes on to state "In this book you'll discover that: God consideres the freedom to choose worth the chance that people won't make good choices; God will discipline his people in order to teach them to make better choices in the future; God thinks the best way to destroy his enemies is by turning them into friends; God is willing to resort to violence to protect the people he loves; God wants us to love Him the same way He loves us; God wants us to love one another the same way we love ourselves." Over all, after an hour of selecting different passages and reading them, I would say this book held my attention enough to want to keep reading. I thought the author left each day with a discussion point to reflect on and the passages chosen fit the author discussion and subject matter. I don't know that I would put this in my "must read" list, but I do think I will be using it as part of next year's daily devotional. Variety is present, scripture is present, and over all, this book is well done. I give it 3 1/2 out of 5.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by BookSneeze.com The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment