My husband requested one thing for Thanksgiving Dinner. I quote: "Real Mac and Cheese, made in the oven, not the crockpot". I've attempted his mother's recipe a few times and I'm never happy with the way it turns out, so I've been on the hunt. I THINK I have settled on this recipe: BUT, if you have a tried and true recipe, let me know, I'm up for suggestions! :)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan melt butter.
- 4Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- 5Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- 6Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- 7Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- 8Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- 9Turn off flame.
- 10Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- 11Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- 12Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 13Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown