Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Friday, July 30, 2010

Book Review: Flight to Heaven

This story of Capt. Dale Black, lone survivor of an unsurvivable plane crash peeked my interest right away. I will admit, I was hesitant to read this book, because I was nervous I would have a critical spirit and be unable to believe Capt. Black's account of what happened while he was in a coma for 3 days. I was immediately put at ease by the forward of this book where Black acknowledges that often people use experiences like his for fame and fortune. He stated that was in now way his intention and as I read the book I truly came to believe that was true.

The story of Dale Black's plane crash (as a passenger) at age 19, year of rehab and how his relationship with God was changed through that experience is one that is very relatable. As you read of the journey God and Black walked on, his honesty, and explanation of his development of faith is SO encouraging. Black takes you on along an honest path flagging specific milestones along the way that further developed his faith.

I most appreciated Black's explanations of turning from a self centered person (as most humans are) to a God centered person. His life testimony is an example of the joy and peace that can be received when you put God's will before your own and surrender to His will. I found it comforting to see all the amazing people God placed in Black's path along his journey and his desire to show his appreciation and respect for them is clear.

p. 78-79 "In October, when the leaves fall, you can see deeper into the forest." It's true. So much foliage had fallen from my branching ambition, and as a result, I could see deeper into the forest that was my life." ..."Trees need the winter. I never knew that before. They need time to strengthen for the growth they experience in springtime. All that green, pulpy growth has to harden, or the tree would not be able to withstand the seasonal winds that whip against it."

I would recommend this book! It is a great discussion starter on heaven, faith, and surrendering will.

This book is being reviewed for Bethany House Publishers. If you would like to apply to review books for them click here In exchange for a free copy of this book I was asked to read it and give an honest review. The review here is my opinion only.

No comments:

Post a Comment