Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dilled Pickle Relish


for more Tempy my Tummy check out www.blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com

I have been blessed with generous friends who give me fruit and veggies from their garden. Our house is surrounded by 14 trees making growing anything impossible. This paired with the fact that I grew up in a suburb of Chicago where my only exposure to a garden was my grandparents has left me pretty much clueless and with a brown thumb :)

ANYWAY, I have been receiving a large amount of cucumbers and got brave enough to attempt relish. I totally went easy and purchased a packet for $1.59 of seasoning.

I started with this recipe as my base and from there:

I weighed 2 lbs of cucumbers and processed them in the food processor along with 1/2 of a yellow onion.

Then I followed the recipe on the back of the package. It seasoning I used was actually for dilled green beans. I chose this one because the dilled pickle packet called for 50 lbs of cucumbers, and I didn't want that much relish.

I added the cucs and onion to a calphlon pan along with 2 1/2 c white distilled vinegar and 2 1/2 c water, and 1/2 the seasoning packet. I let it simmer for about 5 min and then tasted it. Then, I got brave, added the rest of the seasoning and let it simmer 3 min. longer. I tasted it again and decided I didn't want to add sugar. I let it cool and then divided it into Ball Freezer jars and added it to my freezer stock. I left one jar out for use.

Over all, I'm thrilled with the outcome and am just hoping that the relish tastes well defrosted. :)

2 comments: