Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Book Review: The Shack

Ok, so for those of you who have been living in a hole...

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book! (from Amazon.com)

What did I get out of this book?
I read this book hesitantly and actually needed to put it down after the first 2 chapters and re-asses if I wanted to read it.  Knowing that others had read it and were content with the ending, I picked up the book and continued.  The Shack presented the relational side of God to me.  Trying to present the Trinity in a way that is understandable is challenging, especially since I don't think we are fully meant to understand it.  William P. Young presents the Trinity in a way that shows different personalities of God, and different attributes.  His desire to help readers think outside the box is apparent in his presentation.  

Although I found some areas very predictable in how Mack responded to God, I took pause at the authors interpretation of how God received the responses from Mack.  

Walking away from this book, I know it is a fictional piece and even the author said he was simply trying to help his children understand somethings about God.  Yet, I choose to use the imagery in this book to remind myself that God is relational, and especially fond of me too.



No comments:

Post a Comment