Labels

about (1) book review (164) Budget Tips (27) crafts (90) CWW (94) Deals (578) favorites (15) homemade for the holidays (13) MPM (213) pinterest (50) Recipes (371) seasons (43) Weekend Snacking (30)

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Book Review: Have a New Kid by Friday

Have a New Kid by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman was a very simple, matter of fact book on parenting.  My husband and I did a series with our church on parenting by Dr. Leman 2 years ago. We got a lot out of it, but it really was for older kids.  This fall in a month I discussed Have a New Kid by Friday with 9 of my girlfriends who were all independently reading it.  We were in the heat of football season (my husband is a college fb coach) and I was desperate for help.  I figured if it worked for them, it was worth a try.  

I liked this book for several reasons, it was short, to the point, and matter of fact.  Mainly, this book helped me to reflect on myself, things I needed to say and do, and not do. :)

One of Leman's points is to not keeping saying the same thing over and over, for example "pick up your toys" over and over.  Instead, ask for the toys to be picked up and if it isn't done, when your child asks for something say no, and walk away.  Then, when they follow you (which they will) and ask why, you can explain that they didn't help you, so you aren't going to help them.  I was skeptical.  My 3 year old was never going to catch this.  I asked for toys to be picked up, my son ignored me, I was putting away laundry.  He came in, asked for a snack.  I told him no, I wasn't going to help because he didn't help me.  He went, cleaned up the toys, and then asked to help put the laundry away.  When that was done, he again asked for a snack, and thanked me twice for getting it.  I was floored!  

This works best when practiced consistently.  I'm still working on that part.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment